The issue between zap and mastodon 3.2.1 has been quickly resolved so can focus on ascertaining if it could be a replacement for pleroma at some point.
Observations so far:
- Looks more like FB than twitter (not in any way important for me but preferable for family/friends who heavily favour the former over the latter).
- Less jargon-y than before.
- Focus on security, privacy and controls to protect against abuse
- Plug n’ play apps allowing user to tailor experience (to a degree)
- Circles (or Access Control Lists)
- Multiple channels (identities) to one account
- Different channel types: social media or group
- Nice new activity indicator
- Individual permissions applicable per connection
- Stream loading can be pretty slow (last refresh took around 10 seconds) - possibly due to the ARM64 device its hosted on though doubtful given its single user following only about 26 accounts and the SBC has 4GB RAM and 6 cores, and according to grafana is non-plussed
- Haven’t worked out yet if there is a way to apply content warnings to outgoing posts.. there are tools to do so for incoming based on a number of criteria (though it doesn’t appear to work for me either yet)
- Documentation is sparse, not sure of API details for encouraging the brid.gy dev to hook up for webmentions
- Haven’t checked out photos/galleries so not pre-emptively judging
- Has file share\DAV capabilities - no opinion yet
- Calendar & Events - if there is future compatability with Mobilizon then this could be good.. and maybe if I ever encourage family to join then it’ll be a great feature.. currently no opinion
- Diaspora connectivity